People often ask me why I don’t support the purchase of electrolyte-replenishing beverages and I usually answer with a 20-minute list of reasons. To summarize: when you need natural replenishment after a good sweat-inducing workout, I often suggest a soak in the tub with magnesium-rich epsom salts. When that is not an option, this meal will help restore your salt balance as well as give you incredible-tasting plant-based protein and antioxidant-rich complex carbohydrates! Perfect any time of the year, this room-temperature (or chilled) meal travels well for ‘bring-a-dish’ functions, and makes a great stand-in for chicken/egg/potato/macaroni type ‘salads’ when you want to provide something even omnivores can appreciate. I am listing my go-to salt brand, but please be aware that it is not a vegan company and we are not in any way affiliated with each other. It IS a ‘Certified Good Manufacturing Processes’ company and because I have loved every visit I’ve ever taken to San Francisco, it has a special place in my soul. The hickory salt could be replaced with a fresh sprig of dill and be just as tasty-yet vastly different!
Find this brand at: http://www.sfsalt.com/inc/sdetail/smoked-hickorywood-salt—coarse—2lb-bag/535506
- 4 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 TBSP high-quality olive oil
- 2 heaping Tablespoons of Yellow Mustard
- Hickory salt (or another smoked salt) to sprinkle over each romaine serving, about one-two pinch(es) each leaf-full.
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch iodized salt (optional, but especially suggested if swapping hickory salt for dill)
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 entire small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup arugula, finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, finely diced
- 1 head of freshly washed and dried romaine leaves to serve as lettuce boats, or small toasts
- Chop/dice all washed vegetables very finely. Add rinsed chickpeas
- Top with remaining ingredients (except salt, romaine, or toasts) and stir well! Serve with a sprinkle of hickory salt or dill over each leaf