This is the PERFECT snack to please a crowd! It’s fairly simple, incredibly tasty, and packed with vitamins/iron/fiber/anti-oxidants…Olé!
ALSO, since I operate honoring a ‘waste not, want not’ food philosophy, one of my favorite things about this particular recipe is the left-over ingredients combine to make a fabulous ‘Stuffed Baby Pepper Soup’! (I’m not even sure which meal we liked more!)
See ‘Stuffed Baby Pepper Soup’ recipe in the next post!
- 1.5 cups of leftover or freshly cooked rice (perfect for our lemongrass rice recipe!)
- 1 can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 -2 TB of shredded carrots
- leftover corn kernels (or one ear worth)
- a few leaves of basil (I used 10-12), torn
- 1 TB of shredded coconut. The coconut pictured should be more finely chopped, if you use that brand. Sweetened or unsweetened is fine.
- about 1/4 can of coconut milk will be used here. Save the leftovers for another recipe (such as the Stuffed Baby Pepper Soup!)
- 18+ mini sweet peppers, washed and tops removed
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- 3 mushrooms , diced
- 1 TB hemp hearts
- 1 green onion, diced/sliced
You will need a baking dish with sides about 1 inch tall, or taller to keep peppers upright. I did not line baking dish with any oil or 'grease' method. The natural water content of the vegetables will 'steam' peppers.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT coconut milk and sweet peppers-into a bowl
- Blend with spoon. Pour approximately 1/4 of can of coconut milk over mix, until just visibly moistened
- Using spoon or hands, stuff ingredients firmly into each sweet pepper and place upright in pan. Bake for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until softened. Cook times vary based on density.
Please use all leftover ingredients for soup!