This soup came about by having leftover ingredients from my ‘Stuffed Baby Sweet Peppers’ recipe. It turned out even tastier than I imagined!
I will list ingredients as used for the stuffed peppers, but feel free to play with amounts, as needed for your number of servings. Quantities here feed a group of four.
- 1.5 cups of leftover or freshly cooked rice (see our lemongrass rice recipe)
- 1 can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed
- 1-2 TB carrots ( I used shredded)
- leftover corn (or one ear worth)
- about 12 basil leaves, torn
- 1TB shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 3/4 can (if leftover from stuffed peppers), or one whole can of full-fat coconut milk
- 5-10 baby sweet peppers, sliced or diced. OR one full-sized red/orange/yellow bell pepper, diced.
- 1 jalapeño (optional) diced
- 3 or more mushrooms, (depending on leftover quantity you have around)
- 1 TB hemp hearts
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 4-8 cups of water as desired for soup thickness
- dash of salt and pepper, to taste, if desired
- Combine all ingredients in soup pan and warm thoroughly until peppers are softened (stirring regularly) on stove top over medium heat (about 15 minutes)
- OR, combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe dish and warm thoroughly (about 6-8 minutes, depending on microwave)
- Use caution when removing.