I have rarely met a hummus I didn’t like. This garbanzo-based condiment is a household staple because of its flavor-enchancing ability (and also because it’s so easy to make)! While I encourage you (ALWAYS!) to play with each of my recipes and customize the portions and add-ins to your personal preference and pantry stock du jour, I’ll list here the proportions used of each ingredient I blended, as a base from which you can build. Note that this particular recipe lists a photo of the olive oil, tahini, and chickpea brands I happened to use this time (and some of my favorites, by the way), but the photo does not imply an affiliation with these brands, as there is zero connection between any particular corporations and myself, other than that I am a connoisseur of their goods and I recommend them for their quality. Enjoy experimenting with the creation of your own hummus blends; I can’t imagine ever wanting to go back to store-bought!
- 1 BPA-free can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 4-6 ounces of water
- 1 TB tahini
- 2 TB high-quality olive oil
- 1 diced jalapeño
- 2-4 diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 TB diced onion
- 1 pinch of diced cilantro
- approximately one dozen pitted Kalamata olives
- approximately 1 Tsp of mineral-rich salt
- Place into a blender all ingredients, reserving a TB of olive oil to top. Blend until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. IT REALLY IS THAT EASY!
- Traditional blends top with fresh squeezed lemon and the reserved olive oil.
There must be close to a bazillion hummus recipes on the internet these days, so I am posting a favorite variation. For this particular blend, I used the ingredients listed (see below) to top a delicious falafel on romaine wrap. My dry falafel mix is shown in the photo background, as are the toppings I used for the wrap. It can be very easy to eat your daily vegetable requirements when your homemade creations are so delicious! To keep from getting flavor bored, simply change up the herbs and seasonings to what is in season, available, or to the cycle of life you currently are in!