When my children have been stricken by a cold, a traditional ‘noodle soup’ has never been the answer for healing in our home.
My eldest always asks for my infamous jalapeño ‘posole’ (recipe will be shared in the near future) and my youngest asks for a simple vegetable soup with lots of warm broth. This recipe is a favorite, because he likes the ‘loops’ (leeks).
There are several ways to make a potato/leek soup. I will share two slightly different versions here:
Soup Option A:
- 8 cups of water, approximately
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1-2 cups of assorted baby carrots (or diced whole carrots)
- 1 cup kale leaves, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 2 TB high-quality olive oil
- 3-4 TB vegan pho base
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- optional: salt and pepper/ poultry seasoning-see below
- Place 6-8 cups of water in a large stock pot.
- Add diced vegetables: potatoes, onion, leeks, broccoli, stemmed kale leaves, assorted carrots, and 3 TB of vegan pho base
- Drizzle 2 TB high-quality olive oil into pot.
- Simmer together for approximately one hour (or until carrots and potatoes have softened to preference). If necessary for a stronger adult flavor, upon serving,add additional pho base or poultry seasoning/salt and pepper, to taste.
Leek Soup Option B:
This second recipe idea also works well for kids and uses even less ingredients, but requires a small touch more involvement.
- 6-8 cups of water
- 2 vegan bullion (I used Not Chick’N brand)
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1-2 TB high-quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Over medium-high heat, place one TB of olive oil and sauté onions, celery, and leeks. Once caramelized, reduce to simmer and CAREFULLY add all remaining ingredients, except hemp and salt and pepper. (BE MINDFUL OF HOT OIL and POUR WATER SLOWLY!)
- Simmer until potatoes are thoroughly softened (approximately 30 minutes, checking every 10).
- Add hemp upon serving, as well as salt and pepper, if desired.