If you’re unfamiliar, don’t let the ingredient ‘Green Za’atar’ fool you into thinking this is complicated! It’s merely a blend of roasted thyme, sesame seeds, and a touch of salt. It adds a delicious Mediterranean depth to pizza crusts, roasted veggies, and in this recipe: a one-pot stovetop sauté! I like Ziyad brand, found here: https://www.amazon.com/Ziyad-Green-Zaatar-Thyme-16/dp/B004PBZJF6 or at your local Middle Eastern Grocery. I spent less than twenty minutes on this dish, from conception to plating; making it an excellent homemade meal when you are in a hurry!
Health benefits of olives: heart-healthy vitamin E!
This dish also boasts of fiber, potassium, and of course, the super-food kale profile, including folate and vitamin C!
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed
- 10-15 olives
- 1 TB capers
- One Large White Onion, quartered
- parsley to garnish- I used about 1TB worth
- 1 TB worth of chopped fresh dill
- 10 okra OR SUBSTITUTE WITH MUSHROOMS!
- 1/2 cup of green zaatar
- water to steam, about 1/4-1/3 cup, separated into 2-3 pourings
- one sliced bell pepper (green used here, but can make the dish more colorful with a red, yellow, or orange pepper!)
- Over Medium-High Heat, in a skillet: place quartered white onion, green pepper, okra (or mushrooms-OR BOTH!) along with kale and allow to begin caramelizing
- Pour 1/3 of the water in skillet and cover to steam veggies
- Remove cover after one minute. Stir and sprinkle with all of the za'atar, and add a touch more water to steam
- Replace cover for an additional one minute
- Stir and turn off heat
- Add olives, capers, dill, parsley
- Plate alone or serve over our lemongrass rice!