There are times when super-women of the world must accept that we can’t ‘do it all’, and today was one of those moments. While still wanting to provide my family and myself with incredible nourishment, I blended pre-made, store-bought 3-bean salad and vegan olive tapenade with additional goodness. Could I have made my own 3-bean salad and olive tapenade? Yes, and I have, but it was one of those time-crunched moments blended with hunger- and I didn’t want anyone reaching ‘hangry’ status! So, having a can of 3-bean salad in the pantry and some already made tapenade was just the ticket to a happy medium.
The 3-bean salad (ingredients only: green beans, water, wax beans, kidney beans, sugar, distilled vinegar, dehydrated onions, red peppers, salt, soybean oil, and turmeric (Read’s)-for those that want to make their own, became the base for an expanded healthy and satisfying meal.
Tapenade: kalamata olives, capers, red-wine vinegar, concentrated grape juice, dried garlic, spices, extra virgin olive oil (Peloponnese). It was so delicious and vibrant- I had to share! For those without a vegan olive tapenade near-by, use whole pitted kalamatas.
Due to the strong taste of canned salad, I drained and rinsed the beans before adding them to my dish. I decided to serve it with rice to increase the amino acid profile and extend satiety. Serve alone or with a grain of your choice!
- 2 Cups - mixed organic greens (pictured here with spinach, baby kale, swiss chard)
- 1 cup of arugula
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
- 1 can of 3-bean salad, rinsed ( or your own cooked bean blend)
- 1 whole avocado, diced (or simply scooped into bite-sized pieces like I did here)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 TB of kalamata olive tapenade ( Or about 2 dozen pitted, whole olives)
- 1 finely diced jalapeño (optional)
- about one dozen grape tomatoes, diced
- black pepper to taste
(If preparing rice, do that first, so they are ready together.)
- Layer torn mixed greens, arugula, parsley, diced red onion, tomatoes, (optional) jalapeño and bean salad in dish
- Add olive tapenade and gently mix together until evenly distributed
- Top with avocado and a sprinkle of black pepper
This is a great party dish-to-pass! I can’t wait for the holidays to share the love!