Even though the old paradigm of ‘vegans/vegetarians/hippes’ only eat salads has long been proven inaccurate, sometimes I CRAVE a salad-even in the winter months! The fresh basil in this salad is KEY! It’s refreshing, energizing, and leaves you feeling pleasantly ‘light’ after your meal. This concoction also makes the PERFECT filler for raw ‘spring rolls’!
Use Basil Bean Salad as a stand-alone meal or a side dish. However, if you’re up to making a gorgeous presentation for guests, break out the vegan (typically cassava-based) tapioca or rice papers,or a sheet of nori, and roll as impressive appetizers!
- 2 Cups -mixed greens (I used arugula, spinach, and baby kale)
- 1 full cup of torn basil
- 1 can of drained and rinsed kidney beans
- 1 can of drained and rinsed , or fresh green beans
- 1 can of drained and rinsed , or fresh yellow wax beans
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 can of fresh corn, drained
- 1-2 whole bell peppers or a handful of snack-sized peppers. I used 5 small red snack-sized peppers here, plus 2 small orange bell-peppers
- 1 English cucumber, peeled as desired, and diced
- 1 small whole (peeled) red onion , diced
- To begin, soak your kidney beans, yellow wax, and green beans in the vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Allow them to ‘marinate’ while you chop the remaining items
- I began with layering arugula/spinach/(any greens)/basil blend
- dd each ingredient, taking care not to mix and smash avocado until just before serving to preserve texture
- Drain vinegar from beans and add beans.
- Stir just prior to serving or rolling into appetizer ‘papers’, as stated above.